Bill Caudill, who practices in the firm's Houston office, has a general tax practice, involving partnerships, oil and gas, real estate and tax-exempt organizations and work with the Internal Revenue Service. A partner since 1986, he also assists clients in bankruptcy and financially troubled commercial transactions.
- $1 Billion oil and gas partnership in restructure of operations to address liability exposure through LLC
- Structured LLC in biomedical industry through eventual sale for $100 Million
- Venture capital firm on tax matters in acquisition of operating oil field companies
- Consulting company in employment tax matter involving classification of independent contractors with $25 Million in taxes and issues
- Oil and gas exploration and production company in obtaining additional $30 Million funds for traditional oil development project
- Electronics company in resolution of matter involving nonprofit corporations, Texas Attorney General and the United States District Court
- Oil and gas exploration and development company in using its available funds ($45 Million) to obtain favorable farmout
- State workers compensation insurance fund to resolve federal tax status
- Sale of $30 Million geoseismic software company
- $1 Billion bankruptcy workout of northwest lumber company
- Oil and gas company in sale of $400 Million of oil and gas properties through partnership
- Oil and gas company in sale of $600 Million of oil and gas properties through LLCs
- 80,000 acre ranch acquisition and prospective tax issues
- Fortune 500 company in preparation for several IRS exam team determinations and Appeals conferences
- Trial of tax case involving $20 Million recovery in valuation of oil and gas partnership
- Bankruptcy auction acquisition of former public company for $700 Million; nominated client for U.S. entrepreneur of the year
- Trial of oil and gas tax case involving $30 Million recovery
- Appeals conference of $3 Billion naval construction contract overturning IRS adverse technical advice
- Spinoff royalty trust as part of sale of the company
- Financing, carved out royalty trust; obtained private letter ruling to support the offering
- Master limited partnership with $3 Billion in assets in restructure of Canadian operations as a result of new SIFT (Specified Investment Flow Through) Tax
Mr. Caudill has chaired the State Bar of Texas' Section on Taxation and the ABA Tax Section's Committee on Partnerships and LLCs. He has served as a member of the Council of the ABA Tax Section, and is serving as Vice Chair (Section Continuing Legal Education) of the ABA Tax Section. He is a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel.
Mr. Caudill is listed in Who's Who in America, The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers and Partners USA. He was named as a "Top 100 Houston Region Super Lawyer" in Law & Politics in 2003 and 2004. Mr. Caudill has also been named a "Texas Super Lawyer" in Tax Law from 2003 to present. In 2012, Mr. Caudill was named a Texas Top-Rated Lawyer by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Caudill received a B.S.B.A. in 1973 from the University of Arkansas and an M.P.A. (Dean's Award) in 1977 and a J.D. in 1978 from The University of Texas, where he was a member of the Texas Law Review, Chancellors and the Order of the Coif. He was admitted to practice law in Texas in 1978.
General Counsel, Greater Houston Community Foundation; Board Member, Sam Houston Council; Boy Scouts of America; Board Member, First Methodist Church Foundation, Elgin, Texas.