Joe Colagiovanni joined the firm in 2012 and practices in the Firm's St. Louis and Dubai offices. Joe's practice centers on construction, architectural, engineering and development law (including related finance), both domestically and internationally.
He has been involved in many major construction projects, including utility and infrastructure systems, bridges and roadways, water treatment and distribution facilities, environmental management and cleanup, large-scale commercial and residential complexes, automobile assembly plants, industrial and manufacturing facilities, hospitals, sports arenas and convention centers, hotel and resort developments, power plants, renovation and rehabilitation of historic structures, research facilities, casinos, museums and entertainment complexes.
His experience in this regard also includes recent representation of Indian tribes with respect to large-scale development projects and the unique issues associated with tribal sovereign nations undertaking such activities.
Joe also has extensive experience in connection with privatization and public-private partnerships both in the United States and abroad. Outside the U.S., he has been involved in projects located in China, Taiwan, Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Australia, Japan, Chile, Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Great Britain, Spain, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and the United Arab Emirates.
Joe's experience in the construction and development area includes the following:
- Negotiation and documentation of equity, debt and public financing for construction and developments projects, including tax credit and TIF financing
- Negotiation and documentation of EPC, integrated project delivery and turnkey contracts, design, construction, construction management, design/build, interior design, special engineering and consulting contracts, maintenance and fixturing agreements, program management, subcontract and supply agreements and related collateral documentation including easements and rights of way, collateral assignments and consents, disbursement and escrow agreements and requests for bids and proposals
- Counseling and advice regarding insurance, bonding and liability and risk management in connection with development, design and construction, including performance, payment, maintenance and guarantee bonds, builder's risk and property insurance, OCIP, CCIP, wrap-up and other project-specific insurance programs, related indemnity and security issues and negotiation and documentation of insurance, bonding and related agreements
- Prosecution and defense of claims in litigation or arbitration (and related mediation) with respect to design, development and construction
- Counseling and advice with respect to minority business creation in the construction, design and development area and negotiation and documentation of related joint ventures, limited liability companies and new corporate entities and representation with respect to MBE/WBE/DBE and SBA regulatory compliance
- Workout and bankruptcy counseling relating to troubled development and construction projects, including prosecution of related claims and adversary proceedings
- Counseling and advice with respect to vertically and horizontally integrated joint ventures for construction and development, including related financing, insurance, structuring and risk management advice and documentation of associated agreements
- Counseling and advice regarding construction labor matters, including craft and trade union issues, project labor agreements and jurisdictional disputes, counseling and advice with respect to construction, safety compliance and regulation, including OSHA
- Development of standard form agreements for construction, design and related work and services
- Counseling and advice regarding intellectual property issues related to design and construction and negotiation and documentation of related agreements
- Counseling and advice with respect to licensing and regulatory compliance matters for construction and design businesses, including registration and licensing requirements for American businesses performing work outside the United States and foreign companies and licensed professionals doing business inside the U.S.
Prior to joining Fulbright, Joe was a partner with the law firm SNR Denton and with the law firm of Bryan Cave, both in St. Louis, MO. Before that, he was assistant attorney general for the state of Missouri and gained experience in education law (he served as trial counsel in the eight-month Kansas City school desegregation litigation); alcoholic beverage licensing, regulation and advertising; unfair trade practice; and business trade offense matters.
American Arbitration Association
- Construction Arbitrator Master Panel
- Regional Advisory Board
- St. Louis Stempel Plan, Board Member
- Associated Minority Contractors of St. Louis
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2011, 2012)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America in both real estate and construction law
- Listed in Who's Who in America
- Listed as an expert in Contruction by Expert Guides (2011)
- Construction practice listed as Tier 1 by U.S. News and World Report
Additionally, Joe is the Honorary Vice Consul of Italy in St. Louis. He has been decorated by the Italian goverment and awarded the rank of Commendatore in the Italian Order of Merit, Stella Della Solidarieta' Italiana.
1982 - J.D., Boston University
1979 - A.B., Brown University
Joe is admitted to practice law in the state of Missouri and before the U.S. District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Missouri, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.